Job interviews can be incredibly nerve-wracking for many. The next time you get the call up for an interview, I want you to try and remember that the interview is a 2-way street. Reframe it to a conversation, and a chance for you to gauge whether this is the right company and opportunity for you.
You should always be prepared to ask questions that will demonstrate your genuine interest in the position and company, and which will enable you to gain information for your own decision making.
It may be appropriate to ask questions during the interview and not just at the end in response to the interviewer’s question ‘Do you have any questions?’
So here are some questions you can have ready to go at your next interview:
- Why is this position open? Is there an incumbent in the role?
- What are the biggest challenges?
- What would a typical day look like for the successful person in this role?
- What are your expectations of the successful person in this role?
- How do you think my skills and experiences fit with this role? – You can then address any concerns they have.
- How is performance measured?
- Are there opportunities for further development within this role/within the organisation?
- What are the company’s growth plans?
- Is there an induction and training program? (not for companies less than 10 staff)
- What types of people and personalities do well in this organisation? – You may be able to assess cultural fit by their answer.
- What are the immediate priorities for the successful person in this position?
- When do you expect to reach a decision on the outcome of the selection process and when would you expect the successful applicant to take up this role?
- What is the process from here?
During your interview preparation, ensure that you are familiar with the values, types or environments, team culture and management style that you hold strongly, and prepare specific questions based on those.
Be sure to ask for business cards on wrapping up the conversation, so you can send a personalised thank you note to each interviewer within 24 hours, reiterating your interest in and suitability for the role.
If you would like to discuss how I can help you in your job search, please reach out to me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org
By Bec O’Connor